Wednesday 26 May 2010

Really Rather Good For You Carrot Cake

I thought I'd start by introducing you to my carrot cake; I'll be adding more recipes as I go on. This is adapted from a James Martin carrot cake recipe. I reduced the oil content massively from the original recipe and substituted it for soya milk, but it is actually the "fattiest" of anything I bake, but I've been eating it for about a year now with no nasties so I reckon it's good to go. The cake is moist and really light and has a lovely crunchiness from the pecan nuts along with the occasional zesty hit of lemon. It's always very popular. If I bake one, chances are it'll be wolfed by the end of the day. Other people may also get to eat some too....

You'll need:
  • 175g/6oz light muscavado sugar
  • 3 large egg-whites
  • 60ml/ cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
  • 60ml soya milk
  • 200g/7oz wholemeal self-raising flour
  • 1 tbsp ground mixed spice
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 200g/7oz carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
  • 80g/3oz pecan nuts, roughly chopped
  • 1 lemon, zest only
  • 110g/4oz raisins (Sun-Maid are best!)
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/370F/Gas 5. I use a large square silicon tin, so there’s no oiling needed, (and the cake will come out easily).

2. Whisk the egg whites first so they form peaks. Then add the sugar, soya milk and olive oil and mix for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is smooth.

3. Sift the the flour, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl, tipping in the grains left in the sieve. Stir in gently.

4. Fold the grated carrot, pecan nuts, lemon zest and raisins into the mixture.

5. Spoon the mixture into the cake mould - if you tip it, the consistency will move really slowly, like a B-movie slime monster.

6. Smooth the surface with a spatula.

7. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 35-40 minutes (fan ovens need a bit less). It will have risen satisfyingly and feel firm and springy to the touch when lightly pressed in the centre; if not, cook for a little longer before testing again.

8. When ready, cool the cake down until you can peel the silicon mould away from the cake and let it finish cooling.

9. Then ice! And EAT!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - if the blog is still active...



    ice it with what?

    soy milk and icing sugar? can lemon juice be used also with soy/rice/almond/oats milk without issue and then add icing sugar?



    i love carrot cake and hopefully can persuade my understanding wife to make one for me.

    ReplyDelete